Pluralizing [Was Re: Bouncing Allosaurs]

Mike Taylor <mike@tecc.co.uk> wrote:

> P.S.  For anyone else who didn't know, I have been told in private
> correspondence that the correct plural of "Allosaurus" is "Allosauri"
> -- which I guess is obvious, by analogy with Hippopotamus, if I'd
> spotted the similarity.

Um, since _Allosaurus_ is a taxonomic term, wouldn't its plural be
_Allosaurus_?

I could have sworn there was some rule that stated that the plural and
singular of generic and specific names was the same.

Anyone else know?

Jura

Jurassosaurus's Reptipage: A page devoted to the study of and education on,
the reptilia:

http://reptilis.net