Re: journals and paleontologists

<...the amount of detailed scientific technical information availble to you
guys (the vast majority of which are not going on to be professional
paleontologists) is VAST compared to what was around in ancient times (say
1992 and earlier...).>

Appetite grows with eating.
Not disagreeing with anything you said (though I did see the mafia
observation more as a conceptual typo), I thought that the prior
correspondence was identifying an ideal situation.  The principle was
extensive records with a thorough, associative search engine and good
automatic translation.  (IBM is offering a new translation server for $5,000
or $15,000, I can't find the article again, and Internet Explorer includes a
translation icon.  There is a good chance effective automatic translation
will become widely available fairly soon.)
Are the current difficulties, which you can define thoroughly, impediments
rather than permanent situations?  Some articles will always be remunerated,
but aren't there enough references available for the collating to make a
good start?  Wouldn't such a reference library be a great replacement for
pay to publish and wouldn't it free up resources for better purposes?  The
internet sure isn't going to take anything out of the ground.
Though I have been thinking about Martian lander type exploration of
difficult terrain, with a cam and a recorder and a Seti type search for
fossils...
Ok, sorry, but I would appreciate your comments about how practical an
internet approach to compilation can be.  I'd enjoy any observations about
how such a system should work, and what would make it more valuable to you.
Thanks!