Re: Pluralizing [Was Re: Bouncing Allosaurs]

At 13.16 09/01/01 -0500, you wrote:
>> Mike Taylor <mike@tecc.co.uk> wrote:
>> >
>> > P.S.  For anyone else who didn't know, I have been told in private
>> > correspondence that the correct plural of "Allosaurus" is "Allosauri"

>> Um, since _Allosaurus_ is a taxonomic term, wouldn't its plural be
>> _Allosaurus_?
>>
>> I could have sworn there was some rule that stated that the plural and
>> singular of generic and specific names was the same.
>
>You are correct.

Indeed, I am the guilty, I was only thinking about Latin declination, when
I replied to Mike, so I give him the plural according to Latin, but
forgetting "ICZN" rules. Apologies for any misunderstanding I may have caused.

                                Silvio Renesto
-

"Before being enlightened,   hard work; after enlightenment, hard work"
(Guo Yunshen).

Dr. Silvio Renesto
Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra
Università degli Studi di Milano