Re: Bouncing Allosaurs

> Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 11:31:18 -0600
> From: "Todd Marshall" <todd@sunstorm.net>
>
> Yes, I do agree with you on the Rex and Allousaur gait. It is a
> little funky.

:-)

> I do have the WWD set at my studio, but I sure would like to see
> that "Big Al" show itself. Was it just based on a fictional tale of
> an allosaur's life similar to the tales in WWD?

There were actually two separate programmes of about half an hour
each.  The first, shown on Christmas day, was entirely in the style of
the original WWD series, presented like a conventional wildlife
documentary.  The second, shown two days later was a documentary about
the discovery and interpretation of Big Al's remains.

The second programme included some wonderful shots of Al in
contemporary settings -- playing football with some kids, racing on an
athletics track (and beating the humans, of course!) and in my
favourite sequence, pestering one of the scientists like a big,
friendly dog, as he was trying to explain something to the camera.
I know this sort of thing isn't to everyone's taste, but it's done
well and I love it!

> And did they do anything about fixing those somewhat "off" nasal
> horns that went clear back over the orbits? (But I suppose with
> extra horn growth that wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.)

I'm not sophisticated enough to have noticed that, sorry!

> Or did they use most of the same footage from WWD?

No, all of the footage was brand new so far as I could tell.  Some of
it was marvellous, too -- better than anything in the original WWD.
Highlights were a group of Allosaurs running in amongst a herd of
Diplodocus, and a brief fight between Al and a larger female
Allosaurus.  Well worth catching if you possibly can.

)_v__/\  ... but Doctor, surely the odds against that happening are
         astronomical!