Re: First Book for Smart Dino Enthusiast

> Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 10:21:33 -0800 (PST)
> From: Larry Dunn <majestic_cheese@yahoo.com>
>
> I have a friend who has newly acquired an interest in
> dinosaurs and he'd like to read a book about them.
>
> What in your opinion is the best non-technical book to
> get an intelligent person up to speed on the
> dinosaurs?  This would need to be a pretty thorough
> general survey, but, to reiterate, not technical.

Working from the same position as your friend, I can say emphatically
that what I would have found most helpful would be start with Bakker's
_Dinosaur Heresies_ (which gets the juices flowing!) then move onto
Farlow & Brett-Surman's _Complete Dinosaur_ (which is much more
detailed but still very comprehensible to us novices.)

You can find other recommendations (with various people's brief
comments) in the embryonic FAQ's page on ``What good dinosaur books
are available?'' at
http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/dino/faq/s-lit/books/index.html

Or you can read my own more detailed and personal appraisals of some
of these books -- much more from the point of view of a newcomer -- at
http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/dino/books/index.html

Hope something here helps.

)_v__/\  "In the soccer of the future, tackling must be banned [...] We
         have to take this aggression out" -- FIFA general secretary
         Sepp Blatter.  Scary, isn't it?