Re: First Book for Smart Dino Enthusiast

In a message dated 1/10/01 10:33:00 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Dinogeorge@aol.com writes:

<< I approached Life with the idea of publishing an updated 15-part World We
 Live In to be serialized starting in late 2002 (around the 50th anniversary
 of the start of the original 13-part serial), but their editors seemed to be
 uninterested. At least, they were uninterested in having >me< outline the
 contents and write the text (heck, I'm no Lincoln Barnett!); but I don't
 think they have plans to do anything like that ever again. Too bad; the
 series introduced a huge number of kids, including me, to the natural world.

  That's a shame. When I was a youth and _The World We Live In_was published,
a friend of my parents had a copy he would bring over when he visited (we
couldn't afford one). I would always beg him to bring "The Book"and I'd just
eat it up. I do not believe anything has ever surpassed the collection of
scientific art in that series. The Chesley Bonestell renderings of the early
earth just turned my 6 year-old brain inside and out. Zallinger's dinosaurs
and marine reptile pages certainly had an impact. There was a real feeling of
majesty and awe and even a little fear at the immensity of all that imagery.
I wonder if it could actually be done like that again today?At any rate, I
wish someone would re-photograph the art a re-publish it again with the new
printing methods available today.
  If you are young and haven't seen the book, used copies are available for
very little cost at www.bibliofind.com or any of the other used book dealers.
Highly recommended. DV.