Re: Sexual Dimorphism in Maiasaura (was seasonal day care)

That is odd. Didn't Horner find a bonebed with some 10,000 Maiasaura individuals?? You'd think that there would be a decent amount of skull material available there (I mean, Dodson used on 36 skulls in his analysis, Raath only 30 Syntarsus specimens, and Larson only a handful of Tyrannosaur specimens).<
Exactly, this is why I found his statement odd. But, when I think about it, I have only seen one complete adult Maiasaura skull. It is very odd that such a large assemblage would be biased against skulls.

Perhaps Horner was just being cautious when you asked him about sexual dimorphism. He's a very cautious guy, and maybe he believes that the number of skulls that he has (or has seen) isn't a large enough number to 'correctly' study dimorphism. Maybe he wants a larger sample, and isn't content with, say, only 100 skulls<
Also quite possible.

Either way, I predict that in the future a good amount of Maiasaura skulls will be found.<
I hope so! The more material, the better, I say, even with such an otherwise large sample size as Maiasaura. I think that between Coelophysis and Maiasaura we are presented with an opportunity to examine a large sample of individuals that formed one single population. If we were going to figure out if sexual dimorphism existed in any dinosaur, these two would be out best bet.
Peace,
Rob

Student of Geology
Northern Arizona University