Re: Sexual Dimorphism in Maiasaura (was seasonal day care)

Danvarner@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/10/01 7:19:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> dinoland@lycos.com writes:
>
> << That is odd.  Didn't Horner find a bonebed with some 10,000 Maiasaura
> individuals??

Not exactly.  If I recall correctly, the _Maiasaura_-rich strata are located on
three mountains separated by a valley.  It is presumed that erosion scoured away
much of the original fossil assemblage when the valley carved its way through.
The figure of 10,000 _Maiasaura_ individuals is an extrapolation of the original
number of fossil skeletons which would have been present were the lost strata
equally full of these fossils as the Maiasaura deposits that remain, so there
are not 10,000 skeletons available for study.  I also don't know how much
material has actually been retrieved and prepared.  The scope of an effort to
remove the overburden and excavate and prep everything would seem a bit
overwhelming.  A thorough job would take quite some time.  Of course, I am sure
that Horner's crew would love to obtain more cranial specimens, and I wish them
the best.

Corrections always appreciated.

-- Ralph W. Miller III   ralph.miller@alumni.usc.edu