Re: Sexual Dimorphism in Maiasaura (was seasonal day care)

Danvarner@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/10/01 7:19:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> dinoland@lycos.com writes:
>
> << That is odd.  Didn't Horner find a bonebed with some 10,000 Maiasaura
> individuals??

Not exactly.  If I recall correctly, the _Maiasaura_-rich strata are located on
three mountains separated by a valley.  It is presumed that erosion scoured away
much of the original fossil assemblage when the valley carved its way through.
The figure of 10,000 _Maiasaura_ individuals is an extrapolation of the original
number of fossil skeletons which would have been present were the lost strata
equally full of these fossils as the _Maiasaura_ deposits that remain, so there
are not 10,000 skeletons available for study.  I also don't know how much
material has actually been retrieved and prepared.  The scope of an effort to
remove the overburden and excavate and prep everything would seem a bit
overwhelming.  A thorough job would take quite some time.  Of course, I am sure
that Horner's crew would love to obtain more cranial specimens, and I wish them
the best.

Corrections always appreciated.

-- Ralph W. Miller III   ralph.miller@alumni.usc.edu