Paraphyly post

Dinogeorge wrote:

>No, bacteria A and D simply >resemble< each other more than do bacterium A
>and Homo sapiens C. Homo sapiens C and bacterium D are, however, equally
>closely >related< to ancestral bacterium A (and thus to each other).

        Wouldn't bacteria D be even *further* removed than Homo sapiens C
from common ancestral bacteria A because it had more numerous generational
cycles in between?

        It seems to me that using using time alone to compare relatedness
to a common ancestor--like measuring the distance between two points on a
piece of paper--is inadequate in this case.

        But I'd be the last person to argue with Dinogeorge.  ;-)

        --TAC

T.A. Curtis
kodiak@inetworld.net
13980 Lyons Valley Road
Jamul, CA  91935-2024  USA
"To a person uninstructed in natural history, his country or seaside stroll
is like a walk through a gallery filled with wonderful works of art,
nine-tenths of which have their faces turned to the wall."
--Thomas Henry Huxley
"We ought to make the pie higher." -- George W. Bush