Re: Darwin Quote (was Paraphyly post)

In a message dated 1/12/01 12:49:44 PM EST, kinman@hotmail.com writes:

<< I would urge George (and anyone else for that matter) to read Darwin's
 comments on classification in Chapter 13 of The Origin of Species.  He does
 indeed state that classifications must be genealogical in order to be
 natural (on more than one occasion). >>

Darwin's comments on classification are only marginally relevant to the
discussion here (as I understand it). We're talking only about phyletic
relationship here, not about how we might go about breaking apart the Tree of
Life into manageable pieces (taxa). The latter is an entirely different
problem, which strict phyletic relationship (a la cladistics) is, I believe,
inadequate to solve.