Re: Not so new papers

  First, thanks to pointing out that my word "logarhythm" is
properly spelled "logarithm;" I was rushing through that part of
the post and knew it was probably misspelled, but I was too lazy
to pick my dictionary up. Sue me. :)

David Marjanovic (David.Marjanovic@gmx.at) writes:

<Rinchen Barsbold, Philip J. Currie, Nathan P. Myhrvold, Halszka
Osmólska, Khishigjaw [what a transcription... :-( :-( ]
Tsogtbaatar, Mahito Watabe: A pygostyle from a non-avian
theropod. The independent evolution of a bird-like tail has been
discovered in an oviraptorosaur. Nature 403, 155 (the references
extend to the next page) (13 January 2000).>

  [Thereby the citation is Barsbold et al., 2000a, Nature 403,
155-156.]

<I'll just quote a few things and comment them:

"Although the terminal vertebrae of Caudipteryx are not fused,
they seem to form a stiffened rod."

"Most non-avian theropods have long tails with elongate
(relative length to width) caudal centra, whereas
oviraptorosaurs have short tails with short, broad vertebral
centra. The minimum counts are 32 for Conchoraptor (GIN 110/19),
27 for Ingenia and 27 for "Oviraptor" mongoliensis. GIN 940824 [
= Nomingia] has only 24 caudals, fewer than any non-avian
theropod except Caudipteryx, which has 22."

  I have a guess why this is so: Caudals 23 and 24 are tiny, and
22, 23 and 24 are together just as large as 21. If in
Caudipteryx only the last 3 vertebrae are fused, the suture
lines may have been overlooked...>

  It's not so much that in *Caudipteryx* that the lines may be
overlooked, as their are equippment good enough to veiw them in
Beijing, but that there aren't any sutures present. Specimen
IVPP V12430 is a complete skeleton [everything is preserved,
down to the palate and uncinates] with the tail tip, and there
is no suture. However, the distal end of the 22nd vertebra
itself is spherical, and this suggests there might be a fused
23rd; however, one cannot say that the distal end is that shape
for other reasons, so this _is_ speculation.

  Incidentally, the specimen number given for *Nomingia* in the
_Nature_ article is a field number, and the catalogue number is
now GIN 100/119. Thanks to Tracy, I now have the paper and can
finish my write-up on oviraptorosaurs (whoo-hoo!). The name, by
the way, comes from the region of the Gobi Desert known as the
Nomingiin Gobi [Govi], and the name can be roughly translatd
[probably the intent] as "[animal] from the Nomingiin Gobi
[Desert];" the Nomingiin is what Bugin Tsav -- type local --
sits in, and thus the animal is from the Nemegt Formation. I can
probably wait until Mickey sees this and so won't preempt his
"Detail On..." series. :)

=====
Jaime A. Headden