Re: Not so new papers

> > This might
> > explain its apparent absence in the Bavarian _Compsognathus_ and its
> > presence in _Sinosauropteryx_ of Liaoning.
>
> No one knows whether _Compsognathus_ had or had not feathers. The stone
> around the Bavarian specimen has been *POLISHED* so that lithographies of
> the fossil could be made. B-( :.-( Eventual ( = highly probable)
impressions
> of protofeathers in that limestone would have been very faint, I think.
I'll
> dig up the ref tomorrow.

Here it is:

Adrian J. Desmond: The Hot-Blooded Dinosaurs. A Revolution in Palaeontology,
Blond & Briggs 1975

footnote 32 to chapter 6:

"Ostrom, J. H., >>Reply to >Dinosaurs as Reptiles<<<, _Evolution_ (1974),
28, pp. 491 -- 493. _Compsognathus_, also found in the Solnhofen sediments,
was small itself, though bigger than _Archaeopteryx_. It is imaginable that
this coelurosaur bore feathers. According to Ostrom (pers. comm. 4 March
1974) the slab that contains _Compsognathus_ has been polished smooth around
the fossil, by which action eventually present faint feather impressions
would have been destroyed. _Compsognathus_ was discovered _before_ the first
(the London) specimen of _Archaeopteryx_, so that at the time of its
discovery nobody had looked for eventual plumage. In the last three
[remember, 1975] _Archaeopteryx_ specimens the feather impressions are so
weak that the fossils were at first not recognized as Urvogel remains.
[...]"

!! my retranslation from German, the original wording must be different !!

HP Dan Bensen wrote:

> I thought the reason we didn't see fuzz on Compsognathus is because the
> sandstone didn't preserve dinofuzz as well as the shale(?) at Liaoning.

Entirely possible, no one says any impressions were present around
_Compsognathus_ before polishing. One or two new small theropods have been
found there in the last few years, let's have a close look at them when they
are :.-( published...
        Oh, it's not sandstone, it is plated limestone which looks a lot
like shale (apart from color).