Re: the tonight show

In a message dated 1/13/01 11:21:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kinman@hotmail.com writes:

> P.S.  I certainly hope that you are right about your Jurassic "dino-birds",
>  so that Aves can be expanded someday [oooops, I think I just heard some
>  cladists grumbling].

Cladists _per se_ couldn't care less if Aves were expanded to include
oviraptorosaurs, dromaeosaurs, troodonts, tyrannosaurs, etc.  Strict
adherents to phylogenetic taxonomy, however, would object that Aves already
has a definition and that under that definition Aves does not include the
groups named above, under most current phylogenetic hypotheses.

--Nick P.