From: "cliff green" <dinonaut@tacisp.com>
To: "dinolist" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: re: biggest theropods
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 15:16:59 -0800

Dear List,

Up here in the Morrison, we have Torvosaurus, which is pushing the 40 +
foot range based on incomplete material.
Please don't hate me for mentioning this, but what about the super
allosaur Epanterias? I understand that it is not officially recognized, but
it is real.
Jim Madsens outfit, Dinolab, made some casts of the original material
about 7 years ago.I was able to view all the material , including a femur,
and some ribs and dorsal vertebrea.
They gave me a claw cast taken from the original. It is at least twice
the mass of the same type of claw from a 30 foot A. Fragilis. Many people ,
myself included, think that it was just an extra hefty Fragilis, but that
doesn't make it any less monstrous. You're still looking at another 40
footer.
Acrocanthosaurus, based on the North carolina specimen, is the second
largest Theropod in North America, with the above mentioned being slightly
larger than the New York mounted T-Rex. There is some evidence of even
larger acros, but I will have to make sure I have permission, before I can
comment further.
And as far as being silly for speculating, guilty as charged. Isn't that
all part of the fun? I always thought that speculation led to investigation,
which led to conclusion.

Cliff Green