Questions on Heartrate

Just did my first Lab exercise in Bio260 on the human heart.
Curiously, my heart rate was ...for lack of better term at the moment, spazmadic. Updownupdown; really jagged, close jumpy lines.
In the lecture before the class we learned that, in general,
the larger the animal, the slower the heart rate, and the more blood volume the animal's heart pumps, and that smaller animals' hearts beat faster (which may explain why my heartbeats were spikey on the paper)..

So here are my questions:
Do larger crocs & kin have slower heartbeats than young ones,too?
Is it also the same way with birds?

Thanks in advance;

Jessica "Gobi2010" W.