Re: biggest predators (Allosaurid "Dynasty")

> Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:57:20
> From: "Ken Kinman" <kinman@hotmail.com>
>
>        However, I have become rather impressed with the Family
> Allosauridae in particular, which not only has the most contenders
> for "biggest" theropod, but also produced these contenders over a
> long period of time.  If Tyrannosaurus was "a king", it seems
> appropriate to point out that Allosaurids produced a more extensive
> dynasty of kings.

Well yes ... but then the Tyrannosaurs were rather cut off their prime
by that inconvenient bolide.  (Or volcanic activity!  Don't hurt me!
:-)  Given the increase in bulk through the chronological sequence
T. efremovi -> T. bataar -> T. rex, I can't help wondering just how
big those beasts might have got if they'd made it through K/T.

Anyway -- since one of the forthcoming FAQ questions was going to be
about the biggest dinosaurs, I have taken the opportunity to compose
recent postings into a first stab at answering the question ``What
were the longest/heaviest predatory dinosaurs?''  That first stab can
be found at
http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/dino/faq/s-size/predator/index.html
I welcome any corrections or other feedback.

DISCLAIMER: I have not yet integrated Thomas Holtz's "Geeze, what a
way to start the week..." rant  :-)

)_v__/\  "Well, I didn't vote for you" -- Monty Python.