Re: THE JANUARY 2001 DINO LAND DINOSAUR GAZETTE NEWSLETTER

> MESOZOIC BIRD FOUND IN CHINA

[lots of snippage]

> But, other scientists do
> not believe in his findings.  One paleontologist, Alan Feduccia of the
> University of North Carolina, thinks that these imprints seen on
> Protopteryx do not represent feathers at all.
>
> ``(Protopteryx was covered with) what they call dino-fuzz, which really
> could have nothing to do with the origin of feathers," he said.

?!?!?
If I have got it right (I still haven't read the paper -- Science takes up
to a month to get to the libraries here B-( ), then *Protopteryx* is an
unquestionable bird, found by the authors to be an enantiornithine and by HP
Mickey Mortimer to still be closer to Ornithothoraces than (to)
Confuciusornithidae, so how can Feduccia say such a thing??? He's the one
who equates birds with feathers...

What is going on here? ~:-S