From: NJPharris@aol.com
To: <kinman@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: biggest predators (Allosaurid "Dynasty")
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 12:39:07 EST

In a message dated Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:58:32 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Ken Kinman" <kinman@hotmail.com> writes:

<<
Jeffrey,
I completely agree with all your points. That is why I only narrowed
it down to Family Allosauridae,>>

Or Superfamily Allosauroidea, depending on whether you recognize a separate family Carcharodontosauridae.

<< However, I have become rather impressed with the Family Allosauridae
in particular, which not only has the most contenders for "biggest"
theropod, but also produced these contenders over a long period of time. If
Tyrannosaurus was "a king", it seems appropriate to point out that
Allosaurids produced a more extensive dynasty of kings.>>

To be fair, however, the allosauroids had a longer time to do it in. The Tyrannosaurinae did not appear until the very latest Cretaceous (by which time all the allosauroids may well have been dead!), and who knows what tyrannosaurs might have become given more time?

--Nick P.