Re: Re.avian flight

> Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:58:35 -0800
> From: "James R. Cunningham" <jrccea@bellsouth.net>
>
> The tail of Archaeopteryx didn't prevent it from gliding.  Glide
> ratio would have been about 3:1 to 4:1, as compared to a pigeon's
> 6:1.  Archie was a fair to middlin' glider, though I don't quite see
> why it would want to, since it would appear to have been more suited
> to flapping.

Excuse me -- I'm probably waaay out of date here (my information is
from Adrian J. Desmond's 1975 book, _The Hot-Blooded Dinosaurs: A
Revolution in Palaeontology_) but I'd been under the impression that
Archaeopteryx was too heavy to fly ...  Someone please tell me how
this is yet another area where conventional wisdom has swung through
180% degrees in the time since the material was written when I have
learned all I know?

)_v__/\  Interchicken -- Say it with domesticated edible avians!