Parasaurolophus [was Re: A few species names if you please.]

        Greg Paul reconstructs Parasaurolophus using the skeleton of the
type of P. walkeri, the type species. Three species have been named
(unless there is another #*$*&# one named in an obscure article I don't
have), P. walkeri, P. tubicen, and P. crytocristatus. Recently, Williamson
has synonymized the latter two species (a move I of which I approve
wholeheartedly), but he does not synonymize P. walkeri and P. tubicen.
Evidence against this synonymy is based entirely on some highly
interpretive reconstructions based on difficult- to impossible-to-decipher
CT scans which are alleged to show that EVERY tube in the crest of P.
walkeri is "doubled" in P. tubicen. It doesn't take much imagination to
concieve of a different explanation for such phenomena in the crushed
remains of a bilaterally symmetric vertebrate... Anyway, I consider there
to be one valid species, P. walkeri.

        The supposedly "Lancian" lambeosaurine, "Charonosaurus" (read the
Palynology, the zone from which it hails is EXPLICITLY correlated with
Edmontonian "age" strata in North America my Markevitch, the
palynostratigrapher whose zonation Godefroit et al. employ), appears to
have a very similar skull structure, as does (*very* similar) Amurosaurus
(supposedly, but YOU try getting a copy of an article from Geology of the
Pacific Rim!). Future work, by me if no one else gets there first, will
clarify how these animals relate to Parasaurolophus.

        Hope this helps,

        Wagner