Re: !RE: biggest predators (Allosaurid "Dynasty")

> Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 12:54:12 -0500
> From: "Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <tholtz@geol.umd.edu>
>
> > Well yes ... but then the Tyrannosaurs were rather cut off their
> > prime by that inconvenient bolide.  (Or volcanic activity!  Don't
> > hurt me!  :-) Given the increase in bulk through the chronological
> > sequence T. efremovi -> T. bataar -> T. rex,
>
> Ummmm... what chronological sequence?  It isn't _T. efremovi_ -> _T.
> bataar_ -> _T. rex_ (even accepting for the moment that
> _T. efremovi_ and _T. bataar_ are different species: something not
> generally accepted by tyrannosaurid workers!!).  The two Mongolian
> forms occur in the same Formation (the Nemegt), and there is not
> enough stratigraphic evidence at present to say if the big material
> is stratigraphically above the smaller stuff.

Oops.  ``Meddle not in the affairs of phylogenists, for they are
subtle and swift to point out your bonehead mistakes.'' :-)

Sorry, I was assuming too much.

> > DISCLAIMER: I have not yet integrated Thomas Holtz's "Geeze, what
> > a way to start the week..." rant :-)
>
> :-)

Well, I didn't feel up to trying to summarise it.  I'm about to take a
stab now, though.  Wish me luck ...  ``I may not be back for some
time.''

)_v__/\  "Never ruin an apology with an excuse" -- Kimberly Johnson.