David's Statements

<<As for putting Unenlagia in the same family as Archaeopteryx,
I'd like to know what characters they share that other
deinonychosaurs lack.>>

David Marjanovic (David.Marjanovic@gmx.at) wrote, in reply:

<Apparently none. The sideways-facing glenoids have turned out
to be normal among dromaeosaurids, and your analysis has found
the vertical pubis to be most parsimoniously a reversal. I have
no idea why this should have occurred, though. Anyway, this part
of the phylogeny is based on "old" papers and websites.>

  Huh. The sideways-facing glenoid, as Paul in 1999 (JVP, 19
(supp. to 3)) put it, was an artefacet of orienting the blade of
the scapula horizontally, but this occurs only in advanced birds
(Ornithurae, I believe) and all previous forms have blades which
are less horizontal. Placing the blade in position as on a
velociraptorine trunk, as Paul did, makes the glenoid face no
less laterally than in *Velociraptor.*

=====
Jaime A. Headden