Fwd - new dinosaur book series for schools

(Forwarded for Thom Holmes, who is having email/list problems. - mk)
_____

From: tholmes <tholmes@thedeal.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:44:08 -0500
Subject: new dinosaur book series for schools

We have been encouraged by several people to announce a new book series called
the "Dinosaur Library" that we've written for middle- and high-school students.
The first of six volumes became available this month January). Given recent
questions on the list about finding timely, accurate dinosaur books for
non-scientists and students, I think that our series might just be the resource
that many people are looking for.

I have also arranged a special discount ONLY for dinolist members. If you order
the book(s) directly from the publisher (Enslow) you will receive a 25%
discount on the cover price. Details below.

THE DINOSAUR LIBRARY
Six-Volume Book Series from Enslow Publishers
by Thom and Laurie Holmes
Illustrated by Mike Skrepnick
Consultant: Dr. Peter Dodson

My wife, Laurie, and I wrote the series. Peter Dodson was the scientific
consultant and made significant contributions to the direction, accuracy, and
balance of the volumes. Mike Skrepnick has done ALL of the
illustrations, excepting any photos that I have included. His artwork includes
many new illustrations.  We also drew upon personal communications with many
paleontologist acquaintances to verify facts and ideas. Although the reading
level is geared towards middle school and high school, the series is also
appropriate for teachers and parents wishing to catch-up on the world of
dinosaurs.

We tried very hard to write the series so that it doesn't talk down to students
while at the same time explaining some of the complex concepts associated with
paleontology and "how we know what we know" kinds of issues.

We used scientific language in abundance. Each book also includes a set of
historical milestones in the discovery of each family of dinosaurs as well as
an up-to-date list of all known genera for a given group. The book includes
extensive scientific citations--we really approached the project as a series of
scientific papers for kids. An important goal of ours was to represent both
sides of any controversy so that a student could begin to understand how
science works and that the detection and correction of error are vital parts of
science.

This is the kind of book series that a student will want to read AFTER going to
the encyclopedia or seeing a television special about dinosaurs. Each book
covers the origins, anatomy, physiology, reproduction, feeding habits, offenses
or defenses, and other details about the given dinosaurs of each volume. The
opening of each book includes a fictional story about the dinosaurs at hand and
the rest of the book is used to substantiate the assumptions behind the fiction.

The titles and availability dates for the six books in the Dinosaur Library are:

--Meat-Eating Dinosaurs : The Theropods (Jan 2001)
--Gigantic Long-Necked Eating Dinosaurs : The Prosauropods and Sauropods (Mar.
2001)
--Peaceful Plant-Eating Dinosaurs : Iguanodonts, Duckbills, and Other
Ornithopod Dinosaurs (April 2001)
--Horned Dinosaurs : The Ceratopsians (June 2001)
--Armored, Plated, and Bone-Headed Dinosaurs : The Ankylosaurs, Stegosaurs, and
Pachycephalosaurs (Jan. 2002)
--Feathered Dinosaurs--The Origin of Birds (Jan. 2002)

Each volume is a little over a hundred pages long. The covers are color. The
inside illustrations are black and white.

Because the series will mostly be distributed directly into school libraries,
people on the dinolist are not going to find it in bookstores. However, they
CAN order it from Amazon.com and soon on BarnesandNoble.com. However, through a
special arrangement with Enslow Publishers, I have been able to get a 25%
discount off of each title for members of the dinolist. So, instead of paying
the list price of $20.95 per title, the dinolist member price is $15.71, not
including shipping. If you are interested, here is how to order:

Identify yourself as a dinolist member and reference my name (Thom Holmes).
Then, please note the following ordering information.

website:        www.enslow.com
toll-free phone:        1-800-398-2504
list price:     $15.71 (discounted from $20.95)
discount:       25% off list
shipping:       exact UPS charge (no handling fee)

Thanks so much to all of you.

--Thom Holmes
dinosaur author at large
126 Dodd St., first floor