Re: Masiakasaurus

Mark Perew wrote-

> Please pardon my ignorance.  Could you explain what a spinosaur-jawed
> Maeverano noasaurid would be?

Noasaurids are small abelisauroids (related to abelisaurids, "Ilokelesia",
Velocisaurus and Elaphrosaurus) known from Argentina, India and now
Madagascar.  Genera include Noasaurus, Laevisuchus, Ligabueino and now
possibly "Masiakasaurus".  I've included information below.  They are
distinctive because of their very large cervical epipophyses and
dromaeosaurid-like sickle claw.  "Masiakasaurus" is from the Maevarano
Formation (Maastrichtian, Late Cretaceous) of Madagascar, where
Majungatholus, Rahonavis and titanosaurids have been found.  If this is
indeed the Maevarano noasaurid, it was described preliminarily in an
abstract (Sampson et al. 2000).  There are apparently ten individuals known
from skull elements and 40% of the postcrania.  The first four teeth are
procumbant and radially arrayed, with the first actually horizontal.  This
type of jaw, with radially arrayed anterior teeth, is similar to
spinosaurids, hence my comparison.  In fact, I think it may be responsible
for the reports of Maevarano spinosaurids, although this has not been
confirmed.

Sampson, S.D, M.T. Carrano, and C.A. Forster. 2000. A theropod dinosaur with
bizarre dentition from the Late Cretaceous of Madagascar. JVP 20(3) 66A.

Noasaurus Bonaparte and Powell 1980
N. leali Bonaparte and Powell 1980
late Campanian-Maastrichtian, LC
Lecho Formation, Argentina
holotype- (PVL 4061) maxilla (78 mm), five maxillary teeth, quadrate (45
mm), cervical neural arch, two cervical ribs (48 mm), dorsal centrum,
metatarsal II (113 mm), phalanx II-2 (17 mm), pedal ungual II (37 mm)
comments- Bonaparte, Jose F., and J. E. Powell. 1980.  A continental
assemblage of tetrapods from the upper Cretaceous beds of El Brete,
northwestern Argentina (Sauropoda-Coelurosauria-Carnosauria-Aves).  Mémoires
de la Société Géologique de France. Nouvelle Série 59 p. 19-28.
Bonaparte, José F. 1991.  The Gondwanian theropod families Abelisauridae and
Noasauridae.  Historical Biology. An International Journal of Paleobiology 5
p. 1-25.

Laevisuchus Huene 1932
L. indicus Huene 1932
mid-late Maastrichtian, LC
Lameta Formation, India
cotypes- (IM K20/613) cervical vertebra (35 mm)
(IM K20/614) cervical vertebra
(IM K27/696) cervical vertebra
references- Huene, Friedrich von 1932.  Die fossile Reptil-Ordnung
Saurischia, ihre Entwicklung und Geschichte.  Monog. Geol. Pal. 4 (1) pts. 1
and 2, viii + 361 pp.

Ligabueino Bonaparte 1996
L. andesi Bonaparte 1996
Hauterivian, EC
La Amarga Formation, Argentina
holotype- (MACN-N 42) (.74 m) cervical neural arch, dorsal centrum, two
posterior dorsal neural arches, caudal vertebra, ilium, incomplete pubes,
femur (62 mm), two pedal phalanges
Bonaparte, J. Formation, 1996. "Cretaceous Tetrapods of Argentina,"
Muenchner Geowissenschaftliche Abhandlungen 30A: 73-130 [April 1996].

Mickey Mortimer