Re: So here it is...

> >      Seems like it is all part of one long continuum, so I wouldn't
> >underestimate the ability of dinosaurs (or any tetrapod) to detect
> >"smells" or "chemicals" in their environment, in or out of the water.

Smells aren't processed in the olfactory lobes AFAIK.

> Why do females wear perfume? To announce their arrival? Or to lay out
> a trail of bread crumbs? Olfactory sense are extremely important.
> Things at the epicenter of the scent don't always find it offensive.
> The skunk, is the biggest, baddest SOB in the forest. Just ask him.

Well, you're speaking of mammals. Mammals use scent for everything, birds
and, by phylogenetic bracketing, all dinosaurs don't use it that much.
        This goes so far that for decades most birds were supposed to have
hardly any sense of smell at all because many aren't disturbed in the least
by the smell of their own excrements. We try to avoid smelling this because
mammals, unlike any known bird or other tetrapod, often mark their
territories by sh***ing at the borders.

What's SOB?