Re: avian flight

David Marjanovic wrote:

> I'll try to scan the paper this week. As for copyright... hm, I'm not
trying
> to sell anything, and I suppose the author wouldn't object that his
ideas
> are spread because I have never seen the paper cited anywhere, even
though
> Neues Jahrbuch is a relatively widely available journal.

Copyright protection is very important to me.  Please don't send it if
it would
violate the copyright.

> Please tell me whether your computer can handle the size (9 A4 pages)
and if
> .bmp format works.

Yes, and bmp will do fine.

> > >What is the effect of tails to
> > > total wing loading and lift in modern birds?
> >
> > It ranges from roughly -30 to +30 percent
>
> How can it be negative?

When the tail is carrying a download, which it may want to do for any of
several
reasons.  For example, when in cruise my Cherokee normally has a tail
download
of about 200 pounds, roughly 10 percent of the gross weight (2150
pounds).  It
carries this download to offset the nose-down pitching moment of the
wing, which
is a 65sub2-415, a laminar flow 65 series that has a T/C max of 15%, a
design Cl
of 0.4, and is designed to remain within the drag bucket with a 0.2
range in the
coefficient of lift.

> > Why would he[*] want to?
>
> She* would want to because her center of gravity was most likely at
the
> hips -- good for bipedal running, bad for gliding. After all, she had
a tail
> of reasonable size.
>
> *Another school dogma about the English language has hereby died ~:-|
-- the
> one saying that in English, unlike any other Indo-European language
except
> Persian, only explicit persons get grammatical genders. When we are at
it,
> the name *Archaeopteryx* is female, and *A. lithographic_a_* and *A.
> bavaric_a_* are correct. German-speakers often don't know this... Ebel
does,
> and always writes "she" in his paper.

I never realized that there were no males in the species.

Jim