Re: _Saurornitholestes_ question

Caitlin Kiernan wrote-

> Could someone possibly point me towards a recent review/s of the genus
> _Saurornitholestes_, especially regarding the taxon's temporal and
> biogeographic range?
Unfortunately, no recent reviews of Saurornitholestes exist.  The best reference is still the original description (Sues 1978).  Currie, Rigby and Sloan (1990) describe the teeth in detail.  Sues (1977) describes two "Dromaeosaurus" dentaries later revealed to be from Saurornitholestes.  Howse and Milner (1993) describe a "troodontid" sacrum later revealed to be Saurornitholestes.  Sullivan and Lucas (2000) describe a frontal from New Mexico.  Pedal elements later referred to the genus (but originally thought to be Dromaeosaurus) are described by Russell and Colbert (1969) and Ostrom (1969).  Some dentary fragments and teeth are described by Carpenter (1982).  Paul (1988) is presumedly a good resource, but I have yet to read it.  Barsbold and Osmolska (1999) give good anatomical comparsions of this genus to Velociraptor and Deinonychus.  All other knowledge of North American Saurornitholestes material comes from brief comments in unrelated papers or dental remains (eg. Fiorillo and Currie 1994, Currie and Jacobson 1995).  Saurornitholestes has also been reported from the Sinpetru beds of Romania on the basis of frontals and parietals (Weishampel and Jianu 1996).  Deinonychosaur teeth (eg. Csiki and Grigorescu 1998) from that formation may also be referrable to this taxon.  It must be noted however that some of the North American remains have the possibility of being referrable to Dromaeosaurus or Bambiraptor, while the Romanian material could be Variraptor or Pyroraptor (which may be synonyms themselves).

Ostrom, 1969. Osteology of Deinonychus antirrhopus, an unusual theropod from the Lower Cretaceous of Montana, Peabody Museum of Natural History Bulletin 30, 1-165.
Colbert, 1969, "The small Cretaceous dinosaur Dromaeosaurus," Amer. Mus. Novitates 2380, pp 1-49.
Sues, 1977. Dentaries of small theropods from the Judith River Formation (Campanian) of Alberta, Canada. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, 14, 587-592.
Sues, 1978, "A new small theropod dinosaur from the Judith River Formation (Campanian) of Alberta, Canada," Journal of the Linnean Society: Zoology 62, pp 381-400.
Paul, 1988, "The small predatory dinosaurs of the mid-Mesozoic: the horned theropods of the Morrison and Great Oolite- Ornitholestes and Proceratosaurus- and the sickle-claw theropods of the Cloverly, Djadokhta and Judith River- Deinonychus, Velociraptor and Saurornitholestes," Hunteria 2(4), pp 1-9.
Currie, Rigby and Sloan, 1990, "Theropod teeth from the Judith River Formation of southern Alberta, Canada," in Dinosaur Systematics: Approaches and Perspectives, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge. 107-125.
Howse and Milner, 1993. Onithodesmus- a maniraptoran theropod dinosaur from the Lower Cretaceous of the Isle of Wight, England. Palaeontology, 36(2), 425-437.
Weishampel, D.B. and C.-M. Jianu. 1996. New theropod material from the Hateg Basin (Late Cretaceous, Western Romania). N. Jb. Geol. Palaeont. Abh. 200: 387-404.
Csiki and Grigorescu, 1998. Small Theropods from the Late Cretaceous of the Hateg Basin (Western Romania) - an unexpected diversity at the top of the food chain. Oryctos, vol. 1 : 87 104.
Barsbold, R. & Osmólska, H. 1999. The skull of Velociraptor (Theropoda) from the Late Cretaceous of Mongolia. Acta Palaeontologica Polonica 44, 2, 189-219.
Sullivan and Lucas, 2000. First occurrence of Saurornitholestes (Theropoda: Dromaeosauridae) from the Upper Cretaceous of New Mexico. in S.G. Lucas and A.B. Heckert, eds., Dinosaurs of New Mexico NMMNH Bulletin 17.

Mickey Mortimer