Re: Floating allosaurs??

> Dear all,
> a premise: following recent thread on biggest predator the allosauroid
> from Minden was quoted as coming from a marine (or paralic?) depositional
> environment, as for the italian saltriosaur, also coming from a marine
> carbonatic sediment. Now a geologist here wondered which was the possible
> scenario: continent was less far than supposed or there were islands
> nearby. This is important for his studies on Thetys coasts disposition.

Well, I don't know what the sediment really looks like; the discovery of
that monster near Minden and the sauropod bonebed somewhere else in Germany
in places that have thought to have been flooded is usually interpreted in a
way that there wasn't any sea at all there at that time. No idea whatsoever
for the saltriosaur.
BTW, the usual spelling is Tethys, though I don't know if this is really
correct in Ancient Greek.

> Consequent questions:
>
> 1) Does anyone have data about how long and how far can a dead large
> terrestrial animal float (say, elephant carcasses)?

I don't have any, I just can say that if previous estimates of coastline
positions are correct (unlikely considering the sauropod bonebed), then the
monster of Minden must have floated 100 km or so. Seems unlikely to me.

> 2) How large should have been the eventual island to permit life to even a
> small population of allosaurs, given the (?low)

Low indeed. Cycads have only a slightly higher one.

> nutritional value of
> conifers etc. on which the allosaur preys fed upon?

In any case larger than both the islands in Jurassic Park I + II...

> "Before being enlightened,   hard work; after enlightenment, hard work"
> (Guo Yunshen).

This tempts one to ask "So why become enlightened at all? 'Carpe diem'!" ;-)