Re: cerebellum size

Dear all,
I was reading Chris Brochu's (2000) paper, "A digitally-rendered endocast for _Tyrannosaurus rex_" (JVP 20(1): 1-6).
On page one he says "More basal theropods and nontheropod dinosaurs retained the plesiomorphic arrangement of a large cerebellum projecting dorsally over the roof of the forebrain."
But I thought such an arrangement was also found in "derived" forms like birds, so I am scratching my head and trying figure out why this sounds so confusing to me. I don't think Chris is back on the list yet, and just wondering if anyone else here knows much about cerebellum evolution.
It seems like this should be important with respect to the evolution of flight and secondary flightlessness.
-----Ken