Peri vs Para

Nick Pharris wrote (bonking Jaime's poor sore head again -- the
last time really hurt!):

<David is right here, as far as I recall.  "Para" is "next to",
"along", or "alongside"; "peri" is "around.">

  Para, at least the Greek usage, contains the additional sense
"nearly, almost." Peri, "about, around." The same internal sense
of the phrase "para Aves" can be inferred as both "near birds"
or "almost birds," the latter of which is similar to the sense
(speaking phyletically) of "peri Aves," which would be "around
birds." Thus my confusion. So appologies to Nick as I think of
ways to bonk him back, and appologies to David for correcting him.