Dinosaur Genera List corrections #155

A couple of weeks ago I added name #898 to the Dinosaur Genera List:

Jeholosaurus Xu, Wang & You, 2000

Tracy Ford sent the citation:

Xu, X., Wang X. and You H., "A primitive ornithopod from the Early Cretaceous
Yixian Formation of Liaoning," Vertebrata PalAsiatica 38(4): 318-325.

It comes from Lujiatun (new locality to me), Shangyuan, Beipiao City,
Liaoning Province, China.

Type species is Jeholosaurus shangyuanensis, based on a nearly complete
skull, dorsally flattened; a referred skull that is laterally compressed; and
a few skeletal elements. For now it is Ornithischia incertae sedis, and the
describers say a longer paper is forth coming.

Today (1/24/01) I added name #899, almost certainly the first dinosaur to be
described in the new millennium:

Masiakasaurus Sampson, Carrano & Forster, 2001

It's in the 1/25/01 issue of Nature (cover-featured) and it has made
headlines everywhere because the species epithet honors Dire Straits rock
musician Mark Knopfler. An abstract of the paper is freely available at the
Nature website

www.nature.com/nature/

The dinosaur is described as a kind of small abelisaurian theropod with
procumbent anterior dentition, from Madagascar.

Also added to the Dinosaur Genera List today is more information about the
listed non-dinosaurian genera, which are flagged with asterisks. These are
genera that at one time or another (usually when originally described) were
considered to be non-avian dinosaurs. In addition to flagging their names,
the List now tells how each non-dinosaurian genus is currently classified. If
anybody has more detailed information about these genera than appears in the
chart, please e-mail me and I'll update their listings.

The Dinosaur Genera List appears one click away from my home page:

members.aol.com/Dinogeorge/index.html

or directly at

members.aol.com/Dinogeorge/dinolist.html

Added to the list of dinosaurs of China, Mongolia, and eastern Asia in the
next printing of Mesozoic Meanderings #3:

Jeholosaurus Xu, Wang & You, 2000
    J. shangyuanensis Xu, Wang & You, 2000â

Added to the list of dinosaurs from Africa and Madagascar:

Masiakasaurus Sampson, Carrano & Forster, 2001
    M. knopfleri Sampson, Carrano & Forster, 2001â

(In case the dagger at the end of each species name doesn't transmit
correctly, both species are type species of their genera. I denote type
species with daggers in the MM #3 tables. My e-mail text is transmitted with
italic and boldface typography in place, but it rarely survives the
transmission with this typography.)