T. bataar (was RE: It's HERE!!!)

Mickey_Mortimer
>Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 8:34 PM
>To: dinosaur@usc.edu
>Subject: Re: It's HERE!!!
>
>22. Theropod dinosaurs from the Cretaceous of Mongolia, Phillip J. Currie
>Chiappe and Norell (Norell pers. comm. to Currie) think Hulsanpes
>(http://www.cmnh.org/fun/dinosaur-archive/2000Sep/msg00184.html) is not a
dromaeosaurid, but >from "another more speciose branch of the Maniraptora".

He used that line!  Great!!

>Currie believes Maleevosaurus novojilovi, Tarbosaurus efremovi and
Tyrannosaurus bataar are >all synonymous (he refers to the species as
Tarbosaurus bataar :-( ).

No sad face needed.  This is proper taxonomy.  Currie does not consider this
Mongolian species congeneric with _Tyrannosaurus rex_, and he considers it
all one species.  Therefore, the proper name for this taxon uses the oldest
valid trivial nomen (_bataar_) and the oldest valid generic name
(_Tarbosaurus_): hence, _Tarbosaurus bataar_.

>I enjoyed the "conservative" potential synonymization of Anserimimus with
Gallimimus.  I
>think that anyone who has ever seen the description of Anserimimus will
join me in laughing
>at the thought of it being a junior synonym of Gallimimus.

I think you may want to have a second thought about that laugh, though,
without considering the aspects of intraspecific variability and questions
about accuracy of illustrations...  Indeed, there may be a lot fewer
ornithomimosaur species and genera currently represented in collections than
represented on websites and published taxon lists.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite