Re: Choosing Twenty-Six Representative Genera

In a message dated 1/26/01 12:01:56 PM EST, tholtz@geol.umd.edu writes:

<< This list is, sadly, a product of the sort of web-based environment we live
 now.  People can pull up the "list of all dinosaur names" without any idea
 if the taxon is based on more than a scrap (or for that matter, is even
 formally published). >>

Ya know, this is a good idea. I could add this info to the Dinosaur Genera
List without a heck of a lot of hassle over the next couple of weeks. Might
be a good thing to add synonym information, too. Something like:

Brontosaurus Marsh, 1879 [GS; JS => Apatosaurus]

which would mean "good specimen, presently considered a junior synonym of
Apatosaurus."

Will have to work out a system of codes, particularly for situations such as
"considered >by some< to be a junior synonym of."