Re: Choosing Twenty-Six Representative Genera

After reading the original list and Tom Holtz's comments on it, I decided
to try my hand at this.

On my site, I have arbitrarily divided the cladogram into about 50 pages,
most of which cover dinosauria taxa. (Note: next version of the
Dinosauricon will probably have a page for every single taxon, thus
eliminating this arbitrary aspect.) I listed them and tried to cut the
list down to 26. Some choices (eliminating Diplodocidae and just using
Diplodocimorpha) were easy. Others (eliminating Troodontidae, although it
could be part of Deinonychosauria or Avialae; eliminating
Therizinosauroidea, which I only did at the last minute because I realized
I had accidentally skipped Ceratopsidae!) were very hard. Here's what I
came up with:

Dinosauria
|--+--+--+--Coelophysoidea
|  |  |  `--Neoceratosauria
|  |  `--+--Spinosauria
|  |     `--+--Carnosauria
|  |        |  `--Allosauridae
|  |        `--+--Ornithomimosauria
|  |           |--Tyrannosauroidea
|  |           `--Maniraptora
|  |              `--+--Deinonychosauria
|  |                 `--Avialae
|  `--Sauropodomorpha
|    `--Sauropoda
|       |--Diplodocimorpha
|        `--Macronaria
|           `--Titanosauria
`--Ornithischia
   |--+--Stegosauria
   |  `--Ankylosauria
   |     `--Ankylosauridae
   `--+--Ornithopoda
      |  `--Iguanodontia
      |     `--Hadrosauridae
      `--+--Pachycephalosauria
         `--Ceratopsia
            `--Ceratopsidae

Once this checklist was complete, I started by filling in the letters with
less genera (F, J, Q, X, Z, etc.), then went to the groups with less
genera, reserving space for some popular choices (e.g., _Tyrannosaurus_),
then scrambled to fill the rest:

_Achelousaurus_ (Ceratopsidae)
_Brachiosaurus_ (Macronaria)
_Caudipteryx_ (Maniraptora)
_Dilophosaurus_ (Coelophysoidea)
_Eoraptor_ (Dinosauria; okay, maybe Dinosauriformes....)
_Fukuiraptor_ (Carnosauria)
_Giganotosaurus_ (Allosauridae)
_Heterodontosaurus_ (Ornithischia)
_Iguanodon_ (Iguanodontia)
_Jobaria_ (Sauropoda)
_Kentrosaurus_ (Stegosauria)
_Lambeosaurus_ (Hadrosauridae)
_Magyarosaurus_ (Titanosauria)
_Nodosaurus_ (Ankylosauria)
_Ornithomimus_ (Ornithomimosauria)
_Pinacosaurus_ (Ankylosauridae)
_Qantassaurus_ (Ornithopoda)
_Rebbachisaurus_ (Diplodocimorpha)
_Spinosaurus_ or _Suchomimus_ (Spinosauria)
_Tyrannosaurus_ (Tyrannosauroidea)
_Unenlagia_ (Avialae)
_Velociraptor_ (Deinonychosauria)
_Wannanosaurus_ (Pachycephalosauria)
_Xenotarsosaurus_ (Neoceratosauria)
_Yunnanosaurus_ (Sauropodomorpha)
_Zuniceratops_ (Ceratopsia)

Some overlap in the less-populated letters:  _Jobaria_, _Kentrosaurus_,
_Wannanosaurus_ (I was gonna use _Wuerhosaurus_, but then _Kentrosaurus_
was the only good choice for "K"), _Xenotarsosaurus_. And of course, we
both have _Giganotosaurus_, _Tyrannosaurus_, and _Velociraptor_!

WHAT'S BETTER IN MINE (IMHO):

-Inclusion of one Chinese feathered dinosaur (_Caudipteryx_).

-Better representation of Spinosauria (_Suchomimus_ or _Spinosaurus_
instead of _Irritator_), Ornithomimosauria (some doubt the
ornithomimosaurian nature of _Harpymimus_; _Ornithomimus_ *has* to be an
ornithomimosaur!), Iguanodontia (_Iguanodon_ over _Lurdusaurus_), and
Macronaria (_Brachiosaurus_ over _Sauroposeidon_).

-Only one tyrannosauroid.

-These "chestnuts": _Dilophosaurus_, _Brachiosaurus_, _Iguanodon_,
_Nodosaurus_, and _Lambeosaurus_

-No non-dinosaurs (except maybe _Eoraptor_, which is at least very, very
close).

-A Triassic form (_Eoraptor_).

WHAT'S WORSE (IMHO):

-No Oviraptorosauria, Troodontidae, or Therizinosauroidea!! (And those are
some of my favorite groups!)

-No flying animals.

-Missing these "chestnuts": _Diplodocus_, _Parasaurolophus_, and
_Chasmosaurus_

-Mike Taylor's list has the tallest and largest described Dinosauria; mine
has neither. (_Magyarosaurus_ *is* kind of a perverse choice for
Titanosauria, isn't it? But still kind of neat, I think.)

THINGS WRONG WITH BOTH:

-Many missing "chestnuts": _Apatosaurus_, _Stegosaurus_, _Triceratops_,
_Ankylosaurus_, _Edmontosaurus_, _Hypsilophodon_, etc., usw., &c...

-No Aves (a big one!), Alvarezsauridae, Euhelopodidae (if that is a
clade), Herrerasauridae, and probably some other important taxa I'm
forgetting.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:

Have two dinosaurs per letter!

T. MICHAEL KEESEY