Re: Choosing Twenty-Six Representative Genera

Mike Taylor wrote:

>       Argentinosaurus (Titanosauria)
>       Borogovia (Troodontidae)
>       Chasmosaurus (Coronosauria)
>       Diplodocus (Diplodocimorpha)
>       Euoplocephalus (Ankylosauria)
>       Futabasaurus (Tyrannosauroidea)
>       Giganotosaurus (Allosauridae)
>       Harpymimus (Ornithomimosauria)
>       Irritator (Spinosauria)
>       Jobaria (Sauropoda)
>       Kentrosaurus (Stegosauria)
>       Lurdosaurus (Iguanodontia)
>       Massospondylus (Sauropodomorpha)
>       Nanshiungosaurus (Therizinosauria)
>       Oviraptor (Oviraptorosauria)
>       Parasaurolophus (Hadrosauridae)
>       Quetzacoatlus (Pterosauria)
>       Rahonavis (Avialae)
>       Sauroposeidon (Brachiosauridae)
>       Tyrannosaurus (Tyrannosauridae)
>       Udanoceratops (Ceratopsia)
>       Velociraptor (Deinonychosauria)
>       Wannanosaurus (Pachycephalosauria)
>       Xenotarsosaurus (Ceratosauria)
>       Yanchuanosaurus (Sinraptoridae)
>       Zephyrosaurus (Ornithopoda)

  I'd replace *Harpymimus* with *Hypacrosaurus,* and
*Parasaurolophus* with *Panoplosaurus.* This takes away a series
of four theropods strait and replaces it with a visual dinosaur
nonetheless, and you get a nodosaur in the process.
*Sauroposeidon* isn't really reconstructable, since the animal
is represented (now) by four cervical vertebrae: *Syntarsus
kayentakatae* might be more preferrable for "S" (you get your
coelophysoid, and a potential visual image kids won't get out of
their heads any time soon). *Lurdusaurus* could be replaced by
*Lufengosaurus,* so you get another plateosaurian
("prosauropod"); *Borogovia* is also not really reconstructable,
though the name sure is distinctive, and you could replace it
with *Baryonyx* and switch the other spinosaur (*Irritator*)
with *Iguanodon,* so you get your iguanodont. Instead of
*Massospondylus,* why not *Mononykus*?

=====
Jaime A. Headden