Fwd: ALPHABETICAL DINOSAURS

  Pete will be away from his account for a couple days, so I'm
forwarding this on his behalf:

> --------------------------------
>
> Peter Buchholz <tetanurae@hotmail.com> wrote
>
> In a children's book on dinosaurs, I would actually prefer a
> lot of "new" or at least rarely illustrated dinosaurs.  Having
> fifteen books that each only list Stegosaurus, Triceratops, >
Tyrannosaurus, and Brontosaurus, in my opinion, gives kids a >
very limited view of paleontology.  In other words, many kids >
(myself included) at first glance think, or thought, that >
everything that there is to do in paleontology has already been
> done.  As the nearly 1000 of us on this list know, nothing >
could be farther from the truth.

> The following list that I have compiled as an alphabetical
> dino wish-list.  For most of these my reasoning is explained.
> There are some notible exceptions, Tyrannosaurus for instance,
> because, honestly, how many pictures does a kid NEED of >
Tyrannosaurus?

> A.
> Achelousaurus (Ceratopidae)
>
> B.
> Byronosaurus (Saurornithoididae)
>
> C.
> Caudipteryx (Maniraptora incertae sedis, but probably some
> sort of Oviraptorosaur)
>
> D.
> Dicraeosaurus (Diplodocimorphae)
>
> E.
> Erlikosaurus (Therizinosauridae)
>
> F.
> Fukuiraptor (Carnosauria)... There's little choice with this
> letter unfortunately
>
> G.
> Goyocephale (Pachycephalosauria) ... I went with this guy
> instead of Giganotosaurus because, for one thing, the big
fangs > make this dino fun to draw, and (the main reason) two >
carnosaurs right after eachother doesn't demonstrate >
dinosaurian diversity :-)

> H.
> Heterodontosaurus (Cerapoda incertae sedis)
>
> I.
> Ingenia (Oviraptorosauria) ... The cool head, weird hand, and
> just general strangeness of this animal beg people to >
illustrate it.

> J.
> Jobaria (Sauropoda)
>
> K.
> Kentrosaurus (Stegosauridae)
>
> L.
> Leptoceratops (Neoceratopia)
>
> M.
> Majungatholus (Abelosauridae) ... This guy is totally cool
> lookin... how could you not have him in a book!?
>
> N.
> Nodocephalosaurus (Ankylosauria)
>
> O.
> Ouranosaurus (Iguanodontoidea)
>
> P.
> Pelecanimimus (Ornithomimosauria)
>
> Q.
> Qaesitosaurus (Titanosauria) ... I know that this is probably
> a junior synonym of Nemegtosaurus, BUT all other Q dinosaurs >
are based on scrappy remains and this one at least has a >
reasonibly good head to go on.

> R.
> Riojasaurus (Prosauropoda)
>
> S.
> Suchomimus (Spinosauridae)
>
> T.
> Tenontosaurus (Iguanodontia) ... This is one of the most
> complete, coolest, and absolutely least illustrated dinosaurs
> around period.
>
> U.
> Utahraptor (Dromaeosauridae) ... The other U dinosaur that was
> based on more than scraps is Unenlagia, another >
dromaeosaur-looking thing.

> V.
> Vulcanodon (Sauropoda) ... I loath choosing this headless
> wonder, but I loath even more having two dromaeosaurids in a >
row.

> W.
> Wannanosaurus (Pachycephalosauria)
>
> X.
> Xenotarsosaurus (Abelosauridae) ... What I would really like
> is a modern bird whose generic names starts with an X.  I am >
not sure if any of these X dinos are even valid (especially >
Xiaosaurus), so this is another I am loath to list.