Re: Interesting New Book--Evolution of Herbivory in Terrestrial Vertebrates

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:00:11
 philidor11 wrote:
>An addition to my library request list, definitely.
>I notice that the book reports a 1996 symposium.  Like chess openings and
>computer programs, paleontology changes fast enough that 1996 is some time
>ago.  Could anyone comment on whether parts of this book have become
>obsolete, particularly in regard to dinos?
>(I'd also ask if anyone has a record of grandmaster experience in the Hanham
>Variation of Philidor's Defense, the 2 bishops vs. bishop and knight
>endgame, in the past year or so, but that's pushing it!)

I don't know if much of it has changed.  I don't think that there are any
revolutionary new hypotheses presented in this book, but rather it is just a
very technical and specialized look at the evolution of herbivory.  There is a
very good overview of every type of herbivorous dinosaur, including a very
interesting chapter on prosauropods.

And, for those of you who have asked, this book is $80.  A little pricey, but
like the new book (also from Cambridge) on the dinosaurs of China and Mongolia,
very important for our field.

Have a nice Super Bowl Sunday (Giants by three is my prediction...)

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Get your small business started at Lycos Small Business at
http://www.lycos.com/business/mail.html