Re: Stegosaurian genera

        I think I was able to get some of what you're looking for.  Most of what
I found comes out of Glut's encyclopedia.  Unfortunately, three of these
four names are nomina nuda.

        "Changdusaurus [or "Changdusaurus"] laminaplacodus" is from the Late
Jurassic of China; according to Glut's encyclopedia, the name refers to
the Changdu basin in Tibet.  It looks like it has only been mentioned in
Zhao's work.

        My files have "Gigantospinosaurus" spelled as "Gigantspinosaurus", a
possible MJ-LJ age, and a note that it is based on a mostly complete
specimen, but nothing else.

        *Monkonosaurus* is the only name that appears to be considered official.
 It is from the Loe-ein Formation of Lawulashan, Tibet, and is based on
two incomplete vertebrae, three plates, and a sacrum.  Its diagnosis
reads as follows:
        Medium-sized stegosaur, about 5 m in length, with large, thin dermal
plates similar in shape to those of *Stegosaurus*; five sacral vertebrae;
fenestrae between sacral ribs completely closed; broad sacral neural
spines lower than in *Wuerhosaurus*, *Kentrosaurus*, and *Stegosaurus*
(Dong, 1990b).
        The age of the Loe-ein is not well-constrained, and could be either LJ
or EK.  The most important ref appears to be: Dong, 1990b, Stegosaurs of
Asia (in Kenneth Carpenter and Philip J. Currie, editors, *Dinosaur
Systematics: Approaches and Perspectives.* Cambridge, New York and
Melbourne: Cambridge University Press, pp. 255-268)

        "Yingshanosaurus jichuanensis" is from the Yingshan of China, considered
latest LJ.  It is based on an almost complete skeleton about 5 m in
length, with wing-like parasacral spines.  The name was first mentioned
in Dong, Zhou, and Zhang, 1983 (The dinosaurian remains from Sichuan
Basin, China: *Paleontologia Sinica*, whole number 162, New Series C, 23,
pp. 1-145), and a formal description is apparently complete but
unpublished.  Glut's encyclopedia features a drawing of the skeleton.
The fact that both it and "Gigantospinosaurus" may be based on pretty
complete specimens leads me to suspect that they might be the same
animal, but I've been wrong before.

I hope this helps somewhat-*Thescelosaurus*

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001 23:00:49 +0100 "Alessandro Marisa" <amaris@tin.it>
writes:
> Hy to all the list members
> could someone tell me information about period, holotype material and
> referred specimens material, diagnosis and refs of these Stegosaurian
> genera?
> Changtusaurus laminaplacodus Zhao 1985
> Gigantospinosaurus sichuanensis  Anonimous 1993
> Monkonosaurus lawulacus  Zhao 1983
> Yingshanosaurus jichuanensis  Zhao 1984
>
> By and thank's
> Marisa Alessandro
> "Volounteer of Paleontological Museum of Monfalcone"
> Via Achille Grandi n°18
> 38068 ROVERETO (TN) ITALY
> Tel:039-0464-434658 Email amaris@tin.it

Justin Tweet, *Thescelosaurus*