Re: Bone Growth on Pathogenic Dinosaur Fossils

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001 20:03:25 -0800 Waylon  writes:
> Do reptiles heal slower than a bird or mammal when, say,
> a rib  is broken?

Most assurredly.  Now, I can't gie you exact data on rates of recovery
for bone tissue as you requested.  However:

Herpetoculturists, not surprisingly,  often find themselves dealing with
veterinary issues.  Among these are spaying/neutering, broken limbs,
internal parasites,etc.    In the case of spaying/neutering, the recovery
from the surgery is typically three to four times as long in reptile pets
than in mammalian pets  (a month to a month and a half as opposed to
about two weeks.)  In the case of broken limbs, recovery time is again is
typically about  3-4 times as long in reptile pets as mammalian pets.  In
the case of internal parasites, however, the treatment for mammals and
reptiles is largely equivalent:  dose the animal , wait two weeks, and
dose again.

I have thrown in the parasite example to further illustrate.  In this
case, we are dealing with the life cycle of something neither mammalian
or reptilian,  (on the face of it, one would therefore expect there to be
little to no difference), but in the other two cases, we are comparing
the two groups directly.

What this says about the metabolism of dinosaurs is very indistinct:
better questions would be, I think,  to ask:  in the cases of healed
injuries found in dinosaurs, is the fossil record of sufficient
resolution to determine the rate of recovery?  If so, then can that rate
be related to the animals' metabolisms?

-zenlizard

MD coordinator,
National Iguana Awareness Day
Can one Truly do performance art without a backhoe?