Re: Stegosaurian genera

----- Original Message -----
From: <Dinogeorge@aol.com>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2001 2:50 AM
Subject: Re: Stegosaurian genera

> In a message dated 1/28/01 6:05:56 PM EST, thescelosaurus@juno.com writes:
>> "Yingshanosaurus jichuanensis" is from the Yingshan of China, considered
>>  latest LJ.  It is based on an almost complete skeleton about 5 m in
>>  length, with wing-like parasacral spines.  The name was first mentioned
>>  in Dong, Zhou, and Zhang, 1983 (The dinosaurian remains from Sichuan
>>  Basin, China: *Paleontologia Sinica*, whole number 162, New Series C,
23,
>>  pp. 1-145), and a formal description is apparently complete but
>>  unpublished.  Glut's encyclopedia features a drawing of the skeleton.
>>  The fact that both it and "Gigantospinosaurus" may be based on pretty
>>  complete specimens leads me to suspect that they might be the same
>>  animal, but I've been wrong before.
> I have a 1984 date for this genus in the Dinosaur Genera List, but now
that
> you mention it I >think< I recall seeing the name in a caption to a pelvis
in
> the Sichuan monograph. My copy is buried, so if you or somebody happens to
> have one handy, I'd appreciate it if it could be looked up. I've seen the
> photos of the mounted skeleton and I cannot distinguish them from
> Tuojiangosaurus. Those are not parasacral spines, they're shoulder splates
> (my term for an osteoderm that is part plate and part spine); the drawing
in
> Don's encyclopedia doesn't match his description in this regard.

Dear George Olshevsky, in the Barrett and Upchurch's paper on Regnosaurus
there are mention that in 1993 you and Tracy Ford place Yingshanosaurus
within a hypothetical family "Dacentruridae" together with Dacentrurus and
Regnosaurus, on the base of the presence of small and numerous teeth. Well,
if Barrett and Upchurch are right and the high number count of teeth are a
plesiomorphic character for the Stegosauria, and the reduced number of teeth
are a synapomorphy that unitig the remaining Stegosauria it is possible that
Yingshanosaurus may be a Huayangosauridae? In the type material of
Yingshanosaurus what part of  skull are preserved, perhaps there is a
dentary? if yes  the "dorsal lamina" are present or absent? And on the
lateral surface of the dentary there are a prominent ridge and a deep
depression below it?

By
Marisa Alessandro
"Volounteer of Paleontological Museum of Monfalcone"
Via Achille Grandi n°18
38068 ROVERETO (TN) ITALY
Tel:039-0464-434658 Email amaris@tin.it