Re: TYRANNOSAURIAN IMPLOSION [long; part 2 of 2]

In a message dated 1/29/01 4:58:37 AM EST, David.Marjanovic@gmx.at writes:

<< Impossible. Quiba can't exist in Chinese. It is probably either Quba, Qiba
 or Quyiba, but the latter is highly improbable as it has 3 syllables. IMHO,
 Qiba is most likely, but I don't know the name. :-)>>

As far as I know, this is how it was spelled "officially," whatever that
means. I think this is also how Dong spelled it in one of his summaries of
Chinese dinosaurs.

 > Finally, the genus Chingkankousaurus from the
 > Wangshih Formation (Maastrichtian?) of Shandong, China,

 Wangshi in Pinyin transcription which is officially considered
 orthographically correct. >>

Likewise. The spellings I use almost always come directly from English
abstracts and such produced by Chinese workers. It would be nice if somebody
somewhere were to standardize the English spellings of the names of the
Chinese geological formations for once and for all.