When is a paleontologist a paleontologist?

One thing i've always been curious about is how prominent paleontologists with degrees in fields like geology and anatomy can pronounce themselves dinosaur paleontologists. Wouldn't they only be geologists? Is it that after much independent study you self-proclaim yourself as a paleontologist? what's the deal? Personally, I want to be one of the worlds top experts on theropod dinos (analogous to where Phil Currie is now), but the only classes available to me are geology, biology, and zoology.