Nomena Nuda Wagneri

        Yes, unfortunately, I am responsible for the (farcical) Marysaurus
kirkaldiensis. Indeed, I have been responsible for (all too great) a
number of spurious taxonomic hoaxes on the Dino List. For those who have
absolutely nothing better to do with their time (I'm supposed to be filing
maps, myself), here is a list (of course, all are quite beyond nomena
nuda, having never been even published):

        Here's the disclaimer: NONE OF THESE ARE REAL!

        Angemimus biscutdo Wagner 1996 non Angimimus biscutdo Wagner 2000
        Drinker nestea Wagner 2000
        Marysaurus kirkaldiensis Wagner 1999
        Regisaurus omnipotens Wagner 2000 (ostensibly from the [Jim]
                Morrison Formation)
        Wagon radioflieri Wagner 1996 (junior subjective synonym of Homo
                sapiens, erected on the type of my sainted and dearly
                departed grandmother, on the supposition that she might
                have once sported wheels)

        To which I add, for the drawing I just did of Pachycephalosaurus
wyomingensis (=Stygimoloch spinnifer) with a peculiar black-and-poppy red
patterning of the head:

        Rayparkosaurus mauli Wagner 2001 gen. et sp. nov.

        George Olshevsky once considered naming the original type of
Coelophysis bauri as Mister threetoes Olshevsky 1996, to which I responded
(DML 6/11/96):

>I believe this violates the principle (or perhaps it's a
>recommendation) that all names be Greek, Latin, or Greco-latinized proper
>nouns. Personally, I am of two minds on this subject.
>One believes that dinosaurs seem to be taken a bit more seriously
>than other groups. We have very [few] joke names (Angemimus biscutdo, for
>example), and maybe some lightening up is necessary.
>The other is rather righteously indignant about the entire thing,
>and is pretty disgusted that scientists would treat a (once) living
>creature with such disrespect. Granted, that gets pretty mystical, but
>for a company of proffessional grave robbers, perhaps we ought to give a
>bit more though to what we intend to call an animal.
>Still, I think Mister threetoes is hilarious.

        With the move toward more lighthearted names which appears to be
afoot in dinosaur paleontology, I'm afraid the conservatism mind is
beginning to prevail. I hate to be non-trendy, but you won't see any
species named after Jurassic Park actors, rock stars, or the like. That
said, I love Gammora (the turtle), Irritator challengeri, and
Pinacosaurus mephistocephale.

        Back to work.

        Wagner