Re: Coelophysis *feathers*???

 hot__male60@hotmail.com wrote:
<< a 42 foot long _T. rex_, with huge feathers flying from it's neck would
scare the doodie out of me! >>

   You might want to read DINOSAUR WARS. In my science fiction novel, T. rex
has a feather mane, megaraptors are fully feathered like eagles, and Gar the
Kra, an intelligent bird/dino is, well, read the book. Fiction's nice. No
need for parsimony arguments, just imagination.

<<I'm a believer in parsimony. If there is no good reason to believe in it,
and no evidence for it, then it probably didn't exist.>>
   I don't think this is an expression of parsimony, which ought more
properly to be based on evidence, rather than lack of evidence. To me, fuzz
on pterosaurs and theropods has serious implications for all dinosaurs. You
have to claim they are just convergent structures, or look out! --everybody
gets fuzzy.

<<Hmmmm, how complex is a strand of hair? As far as I know, it's just an
elongated scale/scute with a follicle. A structure that simple could evolve
convergently among many taxa, so is of doubtful use in figuring out if we
have fluffed-up basal dinos.>>

Hair is a complex structure, and bears great resemblance to feathers at the
follicle end of things. Sure, such structures could have evolved
convergently, but parsimony works against, not for, this argument.
Convergence itself, while real in some cases, is not particularly
parsimonious.

Thomas P. Hopp
Author of DINOSAUR WARS, a science fiction novel published by iUniverse
Now Humans are the Endangered Species!  http://members.aol.com/dinosaurwars