RE: Cladistics algorithm?

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Dinosaur Interplanetary Gazette
>
> Thanks for this... and...
>
> Marilyn Wegweiser wrote:
>
> > >Can anyone supply the algorithm (or algorithms) that are used for
> > >cladistic analysis?
> >
> > Use the program PAUP, or MacClade - I'm not sure of what others that
> > people use.
>
> What, exactly, goes on inside that software?
>
> What numbers does it crunch and... how?

For that you will have to check out the manuals for the software and/or
contact the authors of the various software packages (Swofford for PAUP*,
Maddison & Maddison for MacClade, etc.).  I believe that some of the new
algorithms for PAUP* (which actually has several different search algorithm
options) were published in 1999 or so in Systematic Biology.

However, the topic you are discussing is one of computer science and/or
computational phylogenetics, and not dinosaur science per se.  You should
seek out the various systematic discussion groups or computational science
groups for those details.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742