Re: Miscellaneous Dino News

Several aspects of this story may have suffered a bit in the
translation.  I thought I was trying to say that an ornithopter wing
similar to that of a large pterosaur would have a more effective flight
stroke than an ornithopter wing based on a bird, not that a real
pterosaur wing was more effective than a bird wing.  Adequately
simulating a bird's wing for an ornithopter is somewhat more complex
than attempting a rough simulation of a pterosaur membrane and spar.
I'm not a member of Patricia's design team, but I have been trying to
answer her questions about pterosaur flight as it might apply to
ornithopter construction (as best I can).  I'm impressed with what I've
seen of her work and skills. I don't think Nightingale (Patricia's
full-sized machine) is likely to be in the air within the year, but she
may achieve liftoff in Big Bill (another ornithopter, designed by Jim
DeLaurier) this season.  I wish her every success in both endeavors.

Jim