XENICIBIS & RHABDOMORPHA

On possible quadrupedalism in theropods, Mickey M wrote....

> Then there's Xenicibis, the supposedly facultatively quadrupedal ibis.

Having spoken about this at length with Nick Longrich I no longer
think it likely that the club-like swollen carpometacarpi of _Xenicibis_
were used as walking props (as proposed by Storrs Olson - I do not
have the ref to hand). Nick spent ages playing with the things and a
couple of features seen in the _Xenicibis_ wing skeleton are also seen
in birds which use their carpometacarpi as weapons (e.g. _Tachyeres_).
Can't give away all the details as this has yet to be published.

Just in...

Ruiz-Omenaca, J. I. 2001. _Dinosaurios hipsilofodontidos
(Ornithischia: Ornithopoda) en la Peninsula Iberica_. Colectivo
Arqeologico-Paleontologico de Salas, C.A.S., pp. 266.

Extensive description (in Spanish) of the small Iberian ornithopods.
Includes new _Othnielia_-like form from Spain and much dryosaurid
and _Hypsilophodon_-like material from Portugal and Spain.
_Alocodon_ is reinterpreted as a thyreophoran and _Trimucrodon_ is
regarded as a heterodontosaur. _Taveirosaurus_ had been identified by
Antunes and Signogneau-Russell (1991) as a pachycephalosaur but it
seems there's a 1996 paper where they reidentify it as a possible
nodosaurid (Pereda-Suberbiola also suggested in 1999 that it was a
juvenile nodosaurid). The term 'rhadbomorphans', for
_Muttaburrasaurus_, _Tenontosaurus_ and _Rhabdodon_, is widely
used in this work - this follows an unpublished study (1997) and an
abstract (1999) written by M. Pincemaille. I suppose this is the first
time it's made it into the wider literature (does anyone know better?).

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building
Portsmouth UK                          tel (mobile): 0776 1372651
P01 3QL                                tel (office): 023 92842244
                                       www.palaeobiology.co.uk