Re: Response I

> On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 11:35:13PM -0400, KELL00BELL@aol.com scripsit:
> >        Concerning the claim that K-T iridium can only be of ET origin:
The
> > Pacific Ocean, and the moon, were formed when a Mars-sized body impacted
into
> > Earth and sank deep into its core.
>
> Well, no; when a Mars-sized body and the proto-earth impacted and
> *produced* the Earth and the Moon; that one involved total remelting.
> Didn't produce the Pacific,

It is a very old idea that the Moon was "torn out" of the Pacific "basin" by
centrifugal forces when -- if -- the earth was spinning ludicrously fast. It
is older than plate tectonics, even older than the knowledge that the shape,
composition etc. of the Pacific ocean floor does not suggest this in any
way. Therefore it has been TOTALLY abandoned very long ago. Please, please
don't read 60-year-old books as if they were current science.

> which is a product of plate tectonics.

In particular, the Pacific Ocean opened when Rodinia broke apart 700 million
years ago or so, with North America and Siberia, among others, on one and
Australia and Antarctica, among others, on the other side. (Interesting
geography at that time...) In this sense, it is the oldest surviving ocean
(however, no ocean floor of this age has remained).

> > Inasmuch as the amount of iridium it contained would've been
> > considerable (!) and other events of this kind may have occurred, is
> > it really possible to distinguish between "Earthly" and "ET" iridium?
>
> Yes, it is; the isotope ratios are different, and the isotope ratios of
> the iridium at the K/T boundary match those found in meteorites.

Additionally, the ratio of gold to iridium and those of various osmium
isotopes to one another is exactly (within 5 %) like in class I coaly
chondrites. Extraterrestrial amino acids have also been found in the
boundary layer. And there's the shocked quartz. And... There are books on
this.

If the boundary layer had been produced by volcanism, it would not only have
a different composition, it would also be extremely difficult to explain how
it became dispersed around the globe -- you'd need hundreds of extremely
strong explosive volcanic eruptions for which there is no evidence (the
Deccan traps are basaltic flows, nothing explosive is associated with them).

> The K/T impact debris evidence is really extremely good and from
> multiple lines of evidence.

Apart from that, there's the Chicxulub crater...