Re: Whats a name for?

Tracy Ford (and his new email, dino.hunter@home.com) wrote:

<I wish people would stop complaining about ?sauros? or
?raptor?. When you guys describe animals you can name it what
ever you like. TC (lets see if anyone can figure out what that
means :>), live with it.>

  Some people deal with the aesthetics of the name. Personally,
I could do without -saurus, and even some could do withoiut
-raptor. <shrug> I personally feel that if used constructively,
the name is okay, now matter the root. Tracy talks about
*Glyptodontopelta* (I actually like the name) but I feel that
the basis (armor) is pretty well established by Tracy as being
diagnostic. Certainly a lot of time has been put into this. I
note that teeth can be a lot less diagnostic than dermal armor.

  Names are up to the author. If they want to name it anything
they want, then fine. If they choose the pronounciation to be
whatever, then that, too, is fine. It's their perogitive. So
Smith et al. have every right to pronounce it as it is ascribed
in the paper (please note, folks, the pronounciation is given in
the paper, as are the names of several recent Malagasy
dinosaurs) so pronounciation is given to the authors, who named
it. Even if it breaks a few rules, and I'm not saying it does,
the name is established, was chosen carefully, as I'm sure Ken
and Tracy's new name, as are other names. Even the "joke" names,
like *Hymenosaurus clarki* (of course, *Hymenosaurus
clarkforsterorum* would have been a little more appropriate :)
-- a lizard from the mid-Late K of Mongolia) have been carefully
picked.

  Anyways, I promised Tracy I'd do a write-up on his ankylosaur
armor paper, so....

=====
Jaime A. Headden